At ZP we are focused on the production of screen printed electrodes (SPE) and electrochemical sensors and biosensors. This week whilst developing an assay we realised that the solutions we were using were in fact turning our SPE into a battery. In the adjacent image you can’t see the CV for phosphate buffer solution (PBS) because it is very small, but as soon as we add organic solvents such as DMSO, acetonitrile or ethanol we get a large increase in currents, approximately 0.05 mA. Our interpretation of the data is that the organic solvents are faciliatating the intercalation of anions into the carbon when we apply a positive voltage, and when we apply a negative voltage the anions are ejected and the electrode effectively discharges.
At ZP we manufacture standard products and we provide contract development and manufacturing to our clients.
If you are curious which carbon electrode was used in the data please click the button below.